Monday, May 16, 2011

Goodbye Rain, Hello Hurricane Winds!

Aside from of course the infamous 'sun rain' that occurs in broad daylight every morning and our nightly downpours, the rain is mostly gone. Replacing it is the world's most ruthless wind gusts. Picture an incredibly beautiful day at an amazing bouldering area with five or so climbers wearing puffy jackets huddled together in cave seeking refuge from the wind. Having said that, our Kiwi friend Oliver managed to tick off two of his long term Flock Hill projects; Trifecta Left (V9) and Monster Society of Evil (V10). I must've been too busy complaining about the wind to whip out my video camera and get footage. Oops.

On another note, I seemed to have pulled something tendon-wise in my left arm making it way painful to pull on anything. I'm not sure how it happened, but now I'm limited to slabs and mantles. If you'd like to see some entertainment, stop by Castle Hill, New Zealand and witness Ryan Moon trying to get his meat over some V2 mantles and grease off slabs that boy scouts and school groups waltz up during fields trips.

Also, climbers and rangers don't have the best of relationships here (weird). This morning we got booted from our campsite by a ranger accompanied by his rugby player looking police officer friend. Way lame. Apparently, the campground we've been told was a free campground is not at all. We've moved. We're fine. All is well. He was kind of a butt face about it though. Just sayin'.

I promise super amazing news is on the horizon!...I hope. In a few days we're headed to a town on the northern tip of the south island called Nelson. It'll be a nice rest for our elbows and will give us an opportunity to do something New Zealand-ish. If you're lucky you'll see some awkward photos of me with the fear of god in my eyes as I count my blessing on some easy lowball mantles.


[Our Kiwi friend Holly on a great V3 slab problem at Flock Hill.]


[This place is beautiful.]

No comments:

Post a Comment