Monday, June 22, 2009

Fun, Fun, Fun.


Some Weird African Plant



Eric Lookin' Sharp

What once was a month is now just a week. I felt like a month was an eternity until the end of this trip got closer. The whole thing so far has been a blast to say the least. There has been a bunch of climbing going on, a lot of sends by a lot of people. Walker and small Jesse (sorry) did the Amphitheatre, which seems like one of coolest problems around. Its a huge overhanging boulder with super powerful moves and quite possibly one of the most amazing pinches I've ever seen on real rock. If I ever end up bouldering V12, it seems like something that would be fun to try. I did however do my project of the trip about a week ago, Pinotage. Holy moly, what an amazing climb! I worked for three days and maybe have not ever wanted to do a rock climb so bad in my life. Eric is really, really close. There's pretty core intensive cut loose move where you have to move your heel up to a ledge that keeps on getting the best of him. Soon though, soon. I did Black Spider which is a cool problem and I'm glad to have done it. However, more than anything, it marks the end of a very emotional battle of Ryan vs. Rock. Yesterday we went to an area called 8 Day Rain. Pretty cool, not a lot of stuff, but cool. A very fun and extremely A-typical Rocklands boulder problem; technical highball slab arete. After that we got on a bunch of V-a-millions that shredded the shit out of tips. After I almost gave up on 8 Day Rain area, Walker showed us Crazy Legs. Fuck yeah. Awesome overhanging, super beta intensive arete. The crazy legs move is a super weird inside leg flag. I've never done one of those before, but it seemed to work. Come here, do it. I began work on Nutsa, which is pretty much THE boulder problem a lot of people think of when Rocklands comes to mind. I'm close as one can be to sending something pretty out of my range:

Last move...
...on the ground.
Over and over and over.



Me and Eric on Crazy Legs

Blah, blah, blah. Climbing talk gets super boring after a while. If anybody reading this comes to South Africa for a month or longer, please for own sake, do more than just rock climb. Thank god Eric and I are going to Cape town for a few days to drink and become "cultured". There's only so much bouldering and talking about Fred Nicole and V100s that I can do before I've felt like I've wasted a trip around the world...not wasted, but you know. I'm in fucking South Africa! I need to do some African shit!



The Shark

4 comments:

  1. Hey Eric, hows the african dope? Long hair is for Hippies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan, good to hear you've had fun over there. Thanks for postin'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should extend your trip and change your ticket return date. . . you won't regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you're going to go out and do some non-rock shit. Make sure you talk to a stranger!!

    ReplyDelete