Sunday, June 7, 2009

International Flying

Flying across the world is a freaking chore. It’s a little better that I’m traveling with my friend Eric (who right now look super Italian. Like from Italy Italian. Super long hair and a button up shirt exposing his “bat signal” chest hair. Its pretty funny). I’m finally in South Africa after traveling for about a day and half. I know people do this sort of thing all the time, but that was sorta intense.

 

SFO to JFK (5 hrs.)

JFK to Amsterdam (7hrs.)

Amsterdam to Cape Town (11hrs.)

Driving from Cape Town to Rocklands (3 hrs.)

 

Basically, flights in the States totally blow and flights anywhere else are totally rad. My flight with Delta from SFO to JFK wanted me to pay $5ish for food. Since when have you had to pay for food? Laaaame. Movies were six bucks and drinks were seven bucks. F that. Then…I fly KLM the rest of the trip. Damn, waaaay better. They’re pretty much shoving food and booze down your throat. There are actually times when you have to tell them no. The food is free, warm, and really, really good. Oh movies?...free! And tons and tons of them!

 

I messed up when giving my friend Walker my flight info. For some reason, I only gave him the time if day that my flight was coming in. I left out the actual date of my arrival and gave him the wrong flight number. Thank god Walker handles business and was smart enough to correct my errors. He was already waiting for us when we walked out to baggage claim. The sad unorganized plan Eric and I had developed was to rent a car and ask somebody where Clanwilliam (the town closest to Rocklands) is and how to get there at 10:00 pm. Then get to Clanwilliam at about 1:00 am and ask anyone awake where the Rocklands are. Dumb.

 

The house that we’re staying is pretty cool. Hella big! Probably six or so rooms, each fairly large. I have my own bed? Is this really a climbing trip? I’m so used to camping out in below freezing temps in the desert. Sleeping is impossible after all the transcontinental flights. Right now I’m the only one up, the sun has just risen, and the workers on the local farm have begun their duties.

 

I’ll have cooler things to post next time. Maybe like actually rock climbing related. Eh, Eh?

1 comment:

  1. Your planning sounds just like mine when I went to europe. We got off the plane with a one night reservation across Paris and a return flight 6 weeks later. Really poopr planning. But that makes it an adventure

    ReplyDelete